Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Faith, Surrender and Sacrifice

Most of my posts apparently have something to do with faith, surrender or sacrifice. I guess this is because these are the issues I struggle with on a daily basis. Somehow i doubt that I'm alone in this. Most recently I've been led to believe that God is telling me to stop engaging in an activity that I completely enjoy. The fact is I haven't enjoyed the activity as much lately because of the incredible lack of success I've had of late. My bad luck in this area can only be described as supernatural. Now I'm not sure I would go so far as to say that God purposely fixes things so that a person will fail at it, but I do know that when you are not following God's plan, it's like ramming into a brick wall. Well, I've hit that brick wall so hard and so often that it is impossible to believe that it is "just bad luck" or just circumstantial or coincidence. I believe it is God's voice pounding at my door and His voice has simply gotten louder.

Now, my first reaction is to be angry and resentful. What's so wrong with this activity? Why can others do it and be so successful and I have to quit it? Will I have to quit doing everything I enjoy in order to follow God's plan for my life? The only way to get past all of that is by surrendering in faith. I've taught this to alcoholics and addicts for over 15 years. Just follow the program laid out for you and even though it may feel awkward or scary at first, just do it anyway and have faith that it will work if you work it. It's certainly much easier to tell others what to do than to follow your own advice!

90% of the time when we ponder whether we should or shouldn't do something, we already know the answer. We are only struggling because our ego has some investment in one of the decisions. So we have to listen with our heart and not with our minds and the answer is so clear, though not always a comfortable one. God's way is the only way my friends. Surrender can actually bring peace and end your anxiety. Does surrender mean becoming an automaton with no ability to think? Absolutely not! God gave us a brain for a reason but there are deeper parts of our brain, more primitive parts I believe that are much more adept at communication with our Maker and far more intuitive than the brain we currently use. Our ego, which runs our thinking currently, is entirely a creation of our own and it is imperfect. The brain that God gave us, however, is perfect and if we think with it, it will lead us down the straight and narrow path that we all seek. The brain that God gave us is what we commonly call the heart or our intuition.

Intuitive thinking comes from faith, surrender and prayer. Don't ask God "What should I do?" unless you're willing to follow His answer.

No comments: