Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Economy Is Bad! Do I Still Have To Tithe?

I give 10% of all of my earnings every month faithfully and joyfully. Most of the time I look forward to it with great anticipation because I know that I am blessed in so many ways that many others are not and it gives me pleasure to know that I can give a little something to those who may not have as many resources as I. I know that it is a privilege for me to give. Most of all though, I know that my Lord commands that I give and it is my desire to be obedient to Him.
However, like most of those around me, the ever worsening economy is hitting me hard and I struggle every month to pay everyday bills. This is when the great deceiver whispers in my ear, "You can't afford to pay that tithe". "Isn't it more important for you to pay for gas and food and electricity?" "That tithe is just a gift you give if you can afford it; it's not a "real" bill". "God will understand if you don't tithe this month". When times get tough, it's tempting to believe these lies. But of course, I don't give my tithe because God needs my money. I don't even really give it because those less fortunate need my money. I give it because I choose to live in obedience and I choose to have faith in God's promises to me. Giving during extraordinary financial crises simply allows me to practice walking in obedience and gives me an opportunity to mature my faith.
Leviticus 27:30 tells me that my tithe ".....belongs to the Lord;" and "it is holy to the Lord". My tithe then is one of my highest forms of worship to the God who sustains my very life. Deuteronomy 14:23 says that by giving the first and best of all that I earn, the Lord will bless me in all the work of my hands. Malachi 3:10 tells us, in fact "Test me in this, says the Lord Almighty, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it". Wow! I don't want to miss out on that kind of blessing!
My tithe to the church is the most important "bill" I pay each month for "We will not neglect the house of our God" (Nehemiah 10:37). It requires discipline in difficult times right now to make the tithe the very first check I write. Even as I am trying to decide which bills to put off til later because there is not enough to pay them all, skipping the tithe is not even a consideration.
So, don't let Satan's tempting whispers cheat you out of the rich blessings God has in store for you if you remain faithful and obedient to Him. God knows what your needs are and He sees your financial challenges. He will see you through every obstacle if you stand firm and don't waver. Do you trust Him?

No comments: