In Ted Dekker's widely acclaimed Christian fantasy, the Circle Trilogy, characters live in a world in which, like the Garden of Eden, man has crossed a boundary that God said not to cross and now live in a fallen world that is only a shadow of what it once was. Those who still follow God (called Elyon in the book), must bathe daily in one of several lakes He has provided which have the power to invigorate, refresh, and cleanse the bather while also keeping them from developing the hardened skin and hardened hearts that are characteristic of the Horde, those who reject Elyon. For a Horde member to cross over and become a follower of Elyon, he must dive deep into the lake where he literally dies and then is reborn through Elyon's mercy and love.
I don't think I've ever been completely like a member of the Horde. I've always believed in God and never completely rejected Him. However, even as believers it's far too easy to just walk along the shore, occasionally dipping a toe in the surf; or to just wade into the kiddie pool and splash around occasionally, secure in our little world of "safe" Christianity. Maybe we go to church every Sunday, say grace over our meals, consistently bring our tithe, even do a little volunteer service. But that's just wading in the kiddie pool. Others are even more deluded because they truly believe that they are swimming in the deep waters. They are at church every day the doors are open, attending every service, constantly volunteering in the church and in the community, attending Bible studies and every study series or group event the church sponsors. But for some of those people, they're only stone-skipping, barely breaking the surface.
In fact, for some, this flurry of activity is just a way to keep themselves too busy to ever really go deep. In Matthew 7, Jesus says that many will cry "Lord, Lord", that they did so much for Him, and He will respond, "I never knew you". In "Mere Christianity", C.S. Lewis reminds us that Jesus doesn't just want us to give Him a hand, he wants the whole body. He doesn't just want to be a part of our life, He wants all of our life (Satan has hidden my copy of Mere Christianity from me or I would quote it exactly). Diving deep means going "all in", or "full on" as worship pastor Pace Hartfield says, and giving our heart, mind, soul and body to God every minute of every day. Sound like a tall order? It is and yet I suspect it's simple enough for a child to do and understand.
Diving deep is breathing in the cleansing water of Christ, trusting that I will not drown, but will instead be freer than I've ever imagined. Diving deep is a minute by minute, second by second conversation with Christ, even in silence. Diving deep is leaving who you think you are behind, along with all your man-made dreams and aspirations, and allowing yourself to trust in the God-size dream that you can't quite yet wrap your mind around. Diving deep is not religion my friend. It's breaking free of the pathetic glitter of this world we are visiting and remembering not to get comfortable here. You think you're living large? Unless you're diving deep in your relationship with Christ, you're no more alive than a rotting carcass on the side of the road.
For those about to rot,
Some urgent words I carry.
Rest assured regarding my credentials,
The cancer may assume a different name,
But the death doesn't vary.
My eyes too have squinted through that milky film,
My lips crusted black with dried blood,
The pain in my brain swallowing my vigor,
My legs sprinting nowhere, knee-deep in a flood of mud.
So heed me when I say, I've done my share of rotting
In my world without motion,
And the stench from my sores never ceased for one second,
Until I got out of my pool,
And dived into the ocean.
Swimming in the ocean has never been my style,
With its barnacles, seaweed, and muck from distant foundries.
The swimming pool is clear, filtered
And has the safety of boundaries.
The swimming pool has lifeguards nearby
Who make rules by which to abide.
In the ocean one is alone
With the sea creatures and miles of water,
And constant is the struggle
Against waves, wind, and tide.
Nevertheless, my dive into the ocean
Is truly what set me free.
Maybe there was too much chlorine,
But my swimming pool was choking me.
Freedom now is much more than just a notion,
As now I can swim
With my sloughed off skin
And raft on the fresh salty motion.
No comments:
Post a Comment