Saturday, March 24, 2007

Why Are We So Afraid?

I've been thinking about this alot because it appears to be the basis for alot of our "sinful" behavior. I've been fearful about the fact that I sent this blog to alot of people that I know and not all of them know that I am a Christian ( I also feel a little ashamed about that). Even the ones that know I am a Christian have never seen me "turn it on" this much and I have fears that people will think I'm a little freaky. I've even had some fears that my talks with Jesus were really just talks with myself. When I asked Jesus about this ("Am I just talking to and answering myself?"), His response was "Of course you are talking to yourself in one way, as I am in you and part of you and ultimately you are in Me and we are one in the same". I don't like to argue with Jesus but I don't feel I am in any way remotely similar to Him. He assures me that it is impossible for me not to be like Him. He is Creator, Father, Brother, Friend, all in one!!! My role is to believe that, truly believe it, share it with others, and by extension know that everyone around me should be treated by me the same way that Christ treats me, which is with absolute love, courtesy and caring.

But back to fear. Jesus tells me there is absolutely nothing for me to fear because the only thing that is real and that matters is our relationship with each other (Jesus with me and me with everyone around me). What about hell and satan? Shouldn't we fear them? Jesus says again, "fear nothing". However, as long as we live in this world, there will be satan and hell. Satan, for me, is just the lie that the world tells me that I am separate from God, that God is not real in any tangible sense, and that there are many real things that can make my life here (which is hell if separate from God) good and worthwhile. The world (satan) is loud in this respect and very deceptive and titillating. What's wrong with indulging in a few "harmless" things of the world if it makes our time here a little easier? Maybe nothing, but ultimately anything that is not about our relationship with Jesus is just another barrier. We do these things primarily out of fear. Fear of boredom, fear of loss, fear of death, fear of life, fear of failure, fear of success, fear that we are really nothing and our lives are meaningless. Living in close constant communion with Jesus (I'm not there yet) releases you from all of these "needs" and fears. There is no drug, no caffe latte, no vacation, no mate, no sex, no amount of money, no job that even comes close to the high you feel while in close communion with Jesus.

So don't fear Jesus and don't fear that talking to Jesus will make you crazy and don't fear what people will think of you when they find out you talk to Jesus (I'm telling myself all of these things). DON'T FEAR!!! Give yourself permission to believe the truth, to love yourself and others fully and know that no matter what you are doing now or did then, Jesus CANNOT STOP LOVING YOU! It's impossible! Stop trying to pray the right prayer and simply TALK to Jesus. When Jesus tells me to stop on my way to a meeting to pick up a salad at Jack-in-the Box, that I have time, and I need the nourishment because I haven't eaten, I am amazed and practically driven to tears that my CREATOR cares that much about me to guide me on that personal of a basis (by the way, I've never gotten a salad at Jack-in-the-Box in my life, but I was guided to eat healthier; He even told me to slow down and chew when I got the salad and was wolfing it down before my meeting).

Ok, do you think I'm crazy? I DON'T CARE!!! :-) Because I'm not afraid of what you think of me at this moment and I'm going to try my best to convince you to put away your fears and join me in the only sane activity you will ever do, talk to your friend Jesus and let Him help you out. Give it a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really cool Dave, keep'em coming, i'll be looking forward to reading more....


David Rosales