Do you ever struggle with envy? Do you ever resent the successes of others? I must confess that I have done both. The fact that I know that I am not alone in that struggle, that I know without a doubt that virtually everyone around me has this same confession to make, does little to relieve my feelings of guilt for sinning in this way. Why do we envy what others have? I think it is because we all do battle everyday with our human nature which is all about self-love, self-gratification, self-needs, self-absorbedness, self-delusions and self-obsession. This is why Jesus message was so clear and so emphatic that the greatest commandments we are to live by is to love a power far greater than our self, God, and to love OTHERS as we would have them love us.
Many of us have been blessed with so much in our lives and yet when our eyes are focused on the things of the world, we are never filled up or satisfied. It is only the focus on the growth of our spirit, which is only accomplished through service to God and to others, that brings everlasting and true fulfillment. When we are in the presence of Jesus, in daily communication with Him and acting as He would act, there is nothing more we could want. The Holy Spirit has the power to satisfy us and complete us in ways that no house, no car, no job, no title, no person, no amount of money ever could. As Jesus told the woman at the well, He provides a never-ending spring of fresh, life-giving water that will quench any thirst we have.
But we live in a world where money, power and possessions reign and this makes it difficult for us because we are weak as men. God's perfection, however, is made manifest through our weakness. The mighty on earth are humbled and the humble are made mighty. Though we may not have vast earthly treasures, the treasure of everlasting spiritual fulfillment through a personal connection to the Source and Creator of all that is, was and will be is mightier than all the transitory"riches" available in this world. There is a saying in our society that to get ahead is all about who you know. I don't know or have any personal relationships with any celebrities, mighty politicians or rich moguls. I can't name-drop any powerful or well-known people that I've had dinner with. I don't need to, because there is no more powerful name to drop than the holy name of Jesus. Yes, that's right, I spend each and every minute of every day with the most powerful, the mightiest king of the universe, the Creator of all things. Are you envious? Don't be, because I can introduce you to Him personally and He can be your personal friend too.
Father, forgive me for my envy and resentment. Thank you for the many blessings you have poured out on me through your mercy and generosity, even though I've proven time and again to be unworthy. Help me to keep my sight on those things that are worthy of your blessing and strengthen my resolve to turn from my sinful nature. Help me to take my eyes off of my self and to lift myself above the things of this world. Help me to realize how mighty it is to be humble.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment