Am I the only one that has ever had great plans and aspirations, but can’t seem to muster the resolve to bring them to action? I like to blame it on getting older and having less energy. Course one of the reasons I have less energy is because I had plans and aspirations to begin working out and exercising and eating better foods, but………. Well, you know the rest of the story. Am I the only one who has ever had a bad habit that was hurting me physically or spiritually and, despite a good deal of prayer and my best intentions, I continued the bad habit?
Jesus tells us that “the spirit is willing, but the body is weak” (Matthew 26:41; Mark 14:38). When Jesus was praying in the garden of Gethsemane and asked His closest disciples to pray and keep watch, despite their best intentions they kept falling asleep. I think sometimes that we are simply physically and spiritually lazy and even though we confess our desire to change with our mouth, it is nothing but an empty promise. In this case, I think we have to be intentional about our desire for change and develop a plan of action with deadlines and milestones to gauge achievement. We may even need to engage accountability partners to help us firm up our resolve on a daily basis. Just as the man told Jesus, “I do believe! Help me overcome my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24), we too believe that we will make the change we need to make but a part of us is holding back. Ultimately, we simply need to be consistent in our walk with God; in our reading and study of the Bible, in daily devotionals, in regular prayer/communication with Him throughout every day. “Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do…” (1 Peter 1:13-15).
I think other times we do and do and wear ourselves to the breaking point trying to change something on our own and we continue to fail. We ask ourselves, “what more can I do”? Perhaps this is necessary to get us to that breaking point where we realize that, in fact, we cannot make the necessary change in ourselves. It is only God that can change us through His Holy Spirit. Don’t take this as an excuse to cop out and do nothing to try and bring about change in your life where change is needed; but consider the fact that you need God to do the real work for you and so all you really have to do is totally surrender to Him. Sounds a lot easier than it is. Again, many of us say the right words, pray the right prayers; “I surrender to You O Lord, totally and completely, make me Your vessel and do with me what You will”. And yet still, our hearts are not always in synch with our mouths. Believe with your heart that which you say with your lips. Pray with your soul that which you beg with your tongue. Humble yourself completely. Submit totally to the power and glory and mercy and ability of the Almighty. His flesh is not weak and when you ask Him to make you clean if He is willing, He will respond, “I am willing. Be clean!” (Matthew 8:3).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment